I love dancing.  Always have.  I DVR the Ballroom/Latin Dance championships when they're broadcast and always remind Mr. Darcy that someday we WILL take lessons together so he can whirl me around the dance floor.  And though I hate subjectively judged competitions (they're not "sports"), I like ice dancing in the Olympics for the dance factor.
And where there is competitive dancing... there are costumes.

Elegant costumes.  Like these.
All pictures Getty Images at Yahoo Sports or NBC
Picture
Authentic costumes.  Like these.
Picture
Kimono inspired and gorgeous!
Fabulous Indian costume!
Picture
And then there were these.
Picture
The French version of cowboys and indians.
Picture
The most tolerable of the country group. More cute/dance-hall, less trashy.
Picture
And outfits that shouldn't be seen anywhere, let alone on the world stage. It even included the Tramp Stamp.
Most mind-boggling was this.
Picture
There's been a lot of hullabaloo about the offensiveness of the Russians' program.  And while I have never seen an authentic Aboriginal dance, as a spectator, many of their expressions and moves were clearly demeaning.  The whole caveman/hair pulling move? Seriously?
Picture
The above is a picture of their original costumes that they were forced to tone down.  It obviously didn't help.  The NBC commentator (Dick Button, I believe) made me laugh when he said they looked ridiculous.  I say heavy points have to be awarded for good costumes and docked for bad costumes. If there's going to be judging, it should start the minute you step on the ice.  Before the music even starts. The world is watching you - if you offend our eyes, your score should reflect that.

The thing that cemented the stupidity of subjectively judged competitions is that this...
Picture
...still ended up ahead of this!  (3rd place vs 4th)
Picture
Appalling.  Made me hope even more that one of the top Canadian or US contenders will win that gold and break the 50 year streak the Russians have in ice dancing.

Comments

02/22/2010 20:02

I love the kimono one!

02/23/2010 13:33

Those were some costumes...

Stopping by from SITS to say hello.
Have a great day!
<a href="http://harrietandfriends.com">Harriet</a>

02/24/2010 13:54

I didn't get to see all of the costumes, thanks for posting. some of them are gorgeous and others, well...no comment!
I really appreciate you stopping by my blog and leaving comments on my SITS day, thanks!

02/25/2010 16:14

I have to say that we gave up cable and haven't watched any of the olympics but I've alway been in favor of style points on skating costumes - I've seen some really horrible ones ... and not just ugly but one of my big pet peeves is the 'nude' fabric being four shades darker than the dancer's skin... making those areas look like bad tans gone orange...
stopping by from SITS - thanks for posting the pics - totally rooting for the Canadians!

Wow, the lady in the first one looks a wee bit evil! :^) I haven't been feeling well so I've missed most of the events. But after seeing this, I can definitely see some YouTube searches in my future. LOL!

Hi! I'm stopping by from SITS. I wanted to share a bit of comment love! ♥

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Teresa <><

02/26/2010 15:18

And so your wish came true :) I used to follow ice skating quite a bit when I was younger and competed myself but I fell off as I got older. I must admit the switch from "dance" oriented numbers for ice dancing to the "shock & awe" kind of routines and costumes makes me sad.

So glad Virtue and Moir won with a beuatiful routine that is the essence of ice dance :) And glad that CANADA KICKED A$$ :)

02/27/2010 09:27

Happy Saturday sharefest

02/27/2010 10:24

I used to want to be an ice skater!! Just stopping by to thank you for visiting me on my SITS day and leaving me some blog love! Everyone was so sweet and I really enjoyed the day!

Blessings,
LMM

02/27/2010 23:33

Thanks for the shots and viewpoints. I have to admit I could not decide if those were supposed to be trees or gingerbread men--wouldn't have guessed cavemen!

I love ice dancing and missed watching it this year. I love it when they wear modest costumes so the accent is on beauty and skill, not on their bodies.

02/28/2010 14:54

These are funny! Just stopping by from MMB to say hi :)

03/04/2010 10:55

Jumped over here from the SITS site of the day. I love this post! I couldn't agree with you more on the costumes and the Russian pair whose performance was just ridiculous.
:) Cute blog!