Q: I was wondering...is there a correct direction to start a belt around your waist? To the left..or to the right?
And, is it different for men/little boys?
- There is no difference for men vs boy belts. There is a difference for women, we belt the opposite of the men.
- Standard operating procedure - men hold the buckle in the left hand when putting on the belt. Women hold the buckle in the right hand.
- There is probably no other organization that is a bigger stickler for rules and regulations than the Armed Forces and their take on it is: the tipped end should point to the left for men, to the right for women.
- Left-handed folks often reverse this rule UNLESS there is horizontal printing on the belt that would end up being upside down.
I hope this was useful. Before we end, a few other belt tips.
- You should buy belts that fit perfectly on the second or third hole, not the tightest hole! You'll have way too much tail sticking out after buckling it.
- Women have a lot more leeway where fashion is concerned but men's belts should ALWAYS match their shoes.
- If it's starting to get a little worn, you can polish a leather belt just like you would leather shoes. Just make sure it's nice and dry before putting it on or you'll stain your clothes.