As we've been discussing, there is a strong resurgence in fashion right now to the classic and ladylike. You may not know it, but shoes with menswear detailing have always been classic for women. These shoes ground more feminine styles and offer a nice dash of masculinity, which just serves to make the ladylike look even more lovely.
Details to look for are:
- Classic loafer details like fringe, tassles, flaps and bands across the vamp (think penny loafers or either of the brown loafers below)
- Buckles and laces
- Oxford and wingtip edging
- Tod's lavender heeled loafers with fringe & buckle details
- Franco Sarto dark brown heeled loafer
- Nazareno Gabrielli red mid-heel loafer with wing-tip detailing and buckle
- Michael Kors camel espadrille flat with fringe & lacing
- Enzo Angiolini light brown heeled loafer
- Tod's black flat skimmer with flap and buckle
The look can be as over-the-top...
... or as subtle as you like.
Style Tip: Adding even a little heel makes the look decidedly feminine. When wearing flats, make sure there is an aspect of feminine (round toe, girly color, espadrille edging, etc.) to keep from looking like you're wearing your husband's shoes.
Remember, we're looking for menswear details. Things like wingtip edging or laces as seen here.
Lacing and oxford styling here.
(Love the colors, not a huge fan of the peep toe "shootie" style.)
Loafer banding and studs detail this suede wedge peep toe.
Style Tip: You can leave your legs bare or pair with tights to brave the cold weather, even thin socks (scrunched to ankle or knee-high) can be cute but beware looking too "school girl."
Sturdy buckles instead of bows nod toward menswear.
Style Tip: You can pair these shoes with anything from skirts and dresses to trousers and jeans.
When wearing with pants, choose a shoe in a feminine color or with a higher heel or fancy details to avoid looking too androgynous.
Whether you go subtle or all-out, a little menswear detailing is truly timeless.
And finally, a fabulous take on the classic saddle shoe that I've never seen before!
How adorable are these, you ask? I'll let you know as soon as they arrive. Oh yes, at only $68 they had to be mine. They also come in cocoa.
Click through any of the pictures to our shopping section if you want a pair of your own, or would like to hunt down versions of the other sassy shoes you've seen.