The Lovelies -
- Have one? Pair it with your ultra feminine pieces to tone down the more sugary sweetness of spring & summer and carry those items through fall & winter.
- Looking to invest? The biker jacket is miles more versatile then a long Matrix-style coat. Look for a close-fitting jacket without too many bells and whistles; i.e. avoid multiple heavy zippers and tons of superfluous seaming.
- Have one? Don't be afraid to pull it out and wear it as long as the weather will allow. Pair it with neutral scarves, gloves and hats so as not to compete with the coat.
- Looking to invest? Keep the style classic. Don't be afraid of pattern. I have a bright pink trench with tiny white polka-dots that garners tons of compliments year after year. Consider a water resistant trench instead of wool. It will be easier to keep the lighter color clean.
- Have some? Pair with simple, more sophisticated tops, avoiding graphic tees and active wear.
- Looking to invest? Leather gloves wear for decades. Look for gloves and scarves in complementary tones but not necessarily matchy-matchy. (click here for info on coordinating vs matching)
- Have some? Keep a lint roller in your car. That lighter, brighter lint will show up fast on a dark coat.
- Looking to invest? Dots, stripes, plaids, and animal prints are timeless. Choose the best material you can afford (ideally cashmere) so they will resist pilling and look great for years to come.
- Have some? Nobody with any taste is wearing them with mini skirts and dresses (too tarty!). Keep everything above the boots short and nicely covered up, like a cute short trench coat.
- Looking to invest? Only if you're in love with the style and are certain you'll wear it more than one year. These boots don't come cheap (and if they do - double check the construction!) Look for a simple cut that will more easily stand the test of time.
- Have something? Make it an accent to neutrals. The brights will look great with whites, tans, and denim. Pull out those long lost bangles and pop 'em on your wrists. Or let the neon grace the tip of a shoe or the straps on a sandal.
- Looking to invest? Don't. It's practically a guarantee you won't pull out that neon dress next year. Instead, dip a toe in the trend, literally. Neon nailpolish is a cheap way to have fun. Me? I'll be enjoying my bright orange toenail polish. Later, when you don't want a full set of neon feet, it can become polka-dot or flower accents for a fun summer look.
- Have some? Turn them into cleaning rags. Show the kids how cloth burns slower than paper, and how to dispose of the ashes.
- Have one? Get thee to a tailor! (as discussed here) It can most likely be taken up and in at all the right places to get you a flattering piece. If not, stick it in the dress up box for your kids to be "daddy" and future hobo costumes.
- Looking to invest? Spend your pennies more wisely on a blazer like the one below. You'll breathe sighs of relief for years to come.
Hope this has helped excite you for the coming months! I love jacket season. Not so much "I-have-to-shovel-my-way-out-the-front-door" season, but jacket season is great.
Stay tuned for Fall Style Series 2!