- Isaac Mizrahi
The details for my husband's company Christmas party (the largest party we attend each year) were sent out this week and this year it will be a casual affair held at Costco of all places! I've never heard of a Costco party but since it's one of the places I frequent the most (out of necessity and enjoyment) I'm looking forward to it. I'm a little bummed there won't be a reason to get all decked out, but that's alright.. There will be other events and other times.
Your assignment this weekend is...
- Take a look at your calendar. Do you have any fancy dress festivals on the horizon? Do you know the details? Venue, time of day, dress code. If not, make the calls to gather those details!
- Go to your closet. Yes, right after you're done reading this post. Do you have anything suitable? Sparkly? Shiny? Shimmery? A fabulous color? (Simple designs can merit fancy dress status if the color is right!) Does the occasion call for an evening gown or will black dress pants and a sparkly top be more suitable?
- Try your outfit on. You probably haven't worn it in a while. Does it look as good as you want it to? Pick the shoes and accessories you're going to wear with it. Put the whole thing on. If you're happy then rest easy knowing you're set for the party season. And yes, it is perfectly ok to wear the same outfit to different events.
- No outfit or not happy? Before you start shopping for one - SECURE A BACKUP! It could be a dress you borrow from your sister or black jeans and your fanciest shoes and shirt. Making sure you have a default outfit to fall back on will go a long way toward helping you avoid a pointless purchase. You should have an LBD (Little Black Dress) in your wardrobe and an LBD can almost always be made appropriate for any party.
- Browse before buying. Or maybe better put, "Surf before shopping." Browsing the internet helps save wasted hours on the road and in the malls. Look at what's out there right now, narrow down a style, then hit the shops with a plan. If you don't have an LBD, I would suggest dedicating this shopping time to invest in one. You'll get millions of miles out of it and now is the perfect season to find one that suits you.
- Do not buy something you don't love. There's no point in wasting the dollars. Keep looking. And avoid expensive, overly trendy items. This is already an outfit you won't wear very often (most of us aren't hitting the fancy party circuit every month). Your dollars will be best spent on something timeless that still fits your style.
I hit Nordstrom to find a few quick pics to spark your creativity.
Those sleeves are beaded, not see through!
Sparkly jackets, blazers, boleros, and shrugs can instantly pop a basic outfit into party territory! The same can be said for sparkly shirts and tanks under more basic jackets.
I just can't pass up a retro silhouette!
And this color is gorgeous!
Enjoy your homework this weekend! I hope it gets you excited for all the fun to be had in the coming months!
Even if it's just you and your husband all cozy at home on New Year's Eve. Dress up for each other and make that midnight kiss a little more fun!