Hmmmm... an intriguing option, to say the least. Items usually reserved for the bedroom taking a turn on the catwalk of your kitchen? Could easily go wrong but done right, could be quite cool.
Now, we're not talking your terry cloth bathrobe here.
And nothing longer than knee length, either.
- Use just one piece. The boudoir element can be either top or bottom and should be paired with a distinctly non-lounge wear item.
- Avoid anything too sheer. Yes, you could put a completely see-through top over a t-shirt but you'll lose the elegance of the outfit. Think silk, satin, lace, ruffles, cashmere and just a hint of sexy or cozy.
- Avoid cutesy "pajama prints" and colors. You know... strawberries and kisses, lipstick pink, "Victoria's Secret" writing, animals, feathers, snowflakes, etc. Choose solid colors or menswear prints like pinstripes and plaid.
- Keep hair and makeup simple. Smoky eyes and bedroom-tousled hair will take this look from elegant to "What were you doing before we arrived?" Not quite the vibe you're wanting to put out there.
- Watch your proportions! Team up silky pajama pants with a trim top. A ruffled cardigan with jeans or khakis. Teeter-totter!
- Don't restrict it to home. This romantic style works great for date night!
I naturally went straight to Victoria's Secret for some examples. Took about a nanosecond to find inspiration.
I have a red wrap cardigan almost exactly like this that would work great!
The pants are the great piece here! Paired with a black fitted t-shirt and casual ponytail.
I have a golden brown pair of bottoms just like this that would be perfect with my cream colored tee. Thinking... thinking...
As long as the fabric is no more than slightly sheer, one of these would be lovely over a t-shirt and jeans.
I had a silky short kimono robe like this that sadly didn't survive one of my moves several years ago. Now I'm really missing it!
This one? This is my favorite. So lovely!! Perfect sleeve length. Perfect gathers. Perfect wrap style.
I can see it with my denim skirt and camel colored boots... or jeans and some fun heels... or my cream colored pinstriped pencil skirt for date night...
Oh the possibilities!